Wednesday, May 26, 2010






Martha: Well, since you've been in here in Salt Lake City, what have you been doing?
Porter: Well, let me tell ya'. I was appointed here to be the deputy Marshall. The first one, and then Marshall - and I've been Marshall here ever' since. Most of the time it's quite, yet sometimes I'm busy chasing horse-thieves and hooligans. Every one I've ever gone after, I've caught - not that I'm braggin' up myself.
You know, once, when the President of the United States sent out Johnston's Army, to put down that 'supposed' rebellion against the United States, I went out and met the army. That was before they got to Utah Territory. To detain them for a while I ran off their horses and mules, harassed the troops (chuckle, chuckle), and I single-handedly held 'em off, whilst they finally figured out there wasn't an uprising in Salt Lake City after all. So the army marched right on through the Salt Lake Valley, and up through Cedar Valley, and stayed there a couple of years, establishing Cedar Fort. They never did bother the Saints again the whole time they were out there.
One time there was a nine-year old boy far outside of the city proper, on a ranch not too far from mine just south of the future "Grantsville", that was dying with a really high fever. Nowadays they're callin' that fever Tuberculosis. A rancher came and got me because they couldn't find a doctor in the area. I went out there, and gave him a blessing, and gave him some water to drink. The next morning, I found out later, he'd pulled right out of that fever and was getting better really fast.
I've actually like being Marshall. The people here are good, and things have been rather serene.

No comments:

Post a Comment