Wednesday, May 26, 2010




Martha: That's a solemn story, Porter. After reading the Book of Mormon, I do understand there are times the Lord uses harsh means to bring about His righteous work. He must have blessed you to be an excellent shooter.
Porter: Yes, He's blessed me a plenty! You know, I've done my part, too - I've spent quite a deal of time practicing to shoot both a rifle and a pistol, so I gotta' say - I'm very, very good with that and His help. There was a time when I was challenged to a rifle shooting contest in Nevada. Well, it was a draw, shot for shot. So for a tie breaker, someone it the large crowd that had gathered to watch, yelled out we could settle it with pistols. Some man tossed a silver dollar up into the air, I whipped out my Colt 45 and shot it through the middle, and then shot it again - you could see it changing direction twice in the air, so the whole crowd knew I'd gotten it with both shots. Well, that other shooter just walked away - that was the end of the contest (chuckle, chuckle)! That wasn't even with my Whippit Gun, my favorite.
Martha: "Whippit gun?"
Porter: Yea, I sawed off the barrel of one of my pistols, so I could just whippit up whenever I needed. Comes in really handy!
Martha: How many people have you actually killed - if I dare ask such an awful thing!?
Porter: Well, I don't like killin'. The scriptures tell us we should never shed innocent blood. Protecting the Prophets and the Saints from evil, awful men aint shedding of innocent blood. All tell, there have only been about 24 - you know, I really don't like to do it - but at the same time, I ain't afraid to. The Lord gave me courage to do the work He wanted me to do.

1 comment:

  1. Heck of man, one with whom I hope to meet beyond the vail.

    ReplyDelete